Hopkins County Courthouse at Sulphur Springs
A Museum Quality Print of Hopkins County Courthouse in Sulphur Springs, Texas for sale by Brandywine General Store. The state legislature of Texas formed Hopkins County from parts of Lamar and Nacogdoches counties in March of 1846, naming it after a prominent pioneer family. The town of Tarant was created at the center of the county as was required by Texas law at that time and was the county seat until 1870 when the seat of government was moved to Sulphur Springs. The current courthouse was built in 1895 in the Romanesque Revival architectural style by architect J. Riely Gordon. The Hopkins County Courthouse has been a Texas Historic Landmark since 1975 and on the National Register Listings since 1977. The population of Sulphur Springs as of the year 2000 was 28,833 persons. Picture #61 a geographic archival print made from a photograph in the Highsmith collection.