Deadwood South Dakota Downtown Fine Art Print
Brandywine General Store
A museum quality print of the lawless frontier town of Deadwood, South Dakota, showing the downtown section as it appears today. The businesses shown in this picture include the Fairmont Hotel, Oyster Bay Restaurant which has a sign in the window stating that this is where Wild Bill ate his last meal, Eagle Bar, Prairie Edge Gaming and Restaurant with a Live Show, Buffalo Skull Kid's Arcade, Jackpot Charleys and the Wild Bill Bar. Deadwood is the county seat of Lawrence County South Dakota and was so named for the dead trees found in its gulch. The population in the 2010 census was 1, 270. This settlement began in the 1870s and was described as illegal since it lay in territory granted to the Native Americans in the 1866 Treaty of Laramie, which granted ownership of the Black Hills area to the Lakota Indians. Colonel George Armstrong Custer announced the discovery of gold on French Creek, triggering the Black Hills Gold Rush which in turn gave rise to the lawless town of Deadwood, which quickly became known for gambling, prostitution, murders and general lack of law. The town gained further notoriety with the murder of Wild Bill Hickock on August 02, 1876, while he was playing poker at Nuttal and Mann's saloon. Wild Bill was shot in the head by former buffalo hunter, Jack McCall. Hickock was holding a pair of eights and a pair of aces, forever known as the dead man's hand. Mount Moriah Cemetery remains the final resting place for Hickock and Calamity Jane. Picture # Geo 06 an archival landscape print made from a photograph in the Highsmith Collection.