A Museum Quality Print of the Original Brick Hospital of Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore Maryland. Johns Hopkins University and Hospital was established in 1873 upon the death of Johns Hopkins, a Quaker businessman and banker, who never married nor had any children. He bequeathed 7 million dollars to fund a hospital and university in Baltimore MD. Mr. Hopkins was a good businessman, having a hand in several businesses in Baltimore, but he made most of his fortune with shrewd investing, mainly in the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad. At the time of his death in 1873, this gift of seven million dollars was the largest philanthropic gift in the history of the United States. Early on, Johns Hopkins became the model of modern research and has become one of the top teaching and research Universities in the World. The hospital is also usually ranked in the top three hospitals in most categories in the United States. The Johns Hopkins University and Hospitals combined is the largest employer in the state of Maryland and contributes more than 10 billion dollars annually to the state's economy. Most people wonder about the Johns and why it isn't instead John, but the name is actually a last name from his great grandmother's family who was Margaret Johns, the daughter of Richard Johns, who owned a 4,000 acre estate in Calvert County Maryland. Margaret Johns married Gerard Hopkins in 1700 and one of their sons was named Johns Hopkins, who was the grandfather of the founder of the University.
At Fine Art Prints of Distinction we painstakingly repair the original files of these old paintings and print them using premium quality inks and paper. The end result is a beautiful, archival reproduction print that will last in your home for generations and at a low cost so anyone can now have great artworks hanging in their home or business. Brandywine General Store is proud to offer for sale a Premium Fine Art Print made from a photograph entitled Original Brick Hospital of Johns Hopkins University.
Inventory #101 - Art Prints of Geographic Locations