Circus Maximus Fine Art Print by J. Blaeu
A Museum Quality Print of Circus Maximus by J. Blaeu for sale by Brandywine General Store. Our premium archival image is from the Atlas van Loon which was published in 1649. This image is how the artist took the stadium to look, during an actual Roman chariot race, but he had the advantage of painting and viewing the ruins of almost 400 years ago, when it would have been more complete than it is now. The Circus Maximus is an ancient Roman Stadium built for chariot races and other types of general entertainment. It was located in Rome, Italy between the Aventine and Palatine Hills. It was the first and also the largest stadium in the ancient Roman Empire. It was 2,031 feet long and 387 feet wide and had accommodations for 150,000 spectators. Public Games connected to Roman religious festivals and beast hunts were held here as well as the races. In 494 BC the dictator Manius Valerius Maximus and his descendants were granted rights to a curule chair at the Southeast turn which afforded an excellent viewpoint for the excitement and wrecks of chariot racing.
Picture #23 Around 190 BC stone
seating was added exclusively for the Senators of the Roman Republic.
Julius Ceasar greatly expanded the stadium and seating starting around
50 BC. The last known beast hunt was held in the stadium in 523 AD and
the last known races were held by Totila in 549 AD. This grand coliseum
was used for almost 1,000 years, a feat which can not be duplicated