Tour of the Black Cat Art Print
A Museum Quality Print of a Tour of the Black Cat Advertisement from 1896 for sale by Brandywine General Store. Louis Rodolphe Salis was the owner and creator of the French establishment called The Black Cat. In order to combine art and alcoholic beverage, Salis had the idea of creating a cafe where the gentry, burghers and peasants could all come to drink absinthe and watch plays at the same time. The first tavern called The Black Cat was opened in November 1881 in a 2 room building at 84 Boulevard Rochechouart. With this establishment, Salis is remembered as the creator of the modern cabaret, a nightclub where the customers could set at tables with alcoholic drinks and enjoy acts on a stage with a master of ceremonies who interacted with the audience. This club became very popular and soon outgrew its first site and moved to new premises at 12 Rue Victor-Masse. Picture #117 an archival premium quality advertising print by Brandywine General Store.