Rexrode Gristmill at Blue Grass a Side View
A Museum Quality Print of a side view of the Rexrode Gristmill at New Haven Virginia near Blue Grass for sale by Brandywine General Store. John Rexrode, the son of the pioneer Zachariah Rexrode Sr, started this gristmill in 1816. Farmers from this rich grassland valley would bring their wheat and corn here to be ground into flour, meals and feeds for their animals. The gristmill closed its door during World War II in 1942. By this time, the government was cracking down on these old wooden structure mills because of mice and rats which found a readily supply of food. The mill owners would have cats in the mills but they couldn't catch the rats fast enough. The cost to keep the rodents out was prohibitive so the mills all closed down. Business was waning anyhow, as grocery stores made their way into rural country areas with their store flour and meals which were cheaper than growing and grinding your own. Picture #335 an original archival landscape by Brandywine General Store.