Martin Hall at West Virginia University
A Museum Quality Print of Martin Hall at West Virginia University for sale by Brandywine General Store. Martin Hall was the first building constructed for the new college in 1870. This summer scene shows the back of the brick building with the grassy bank and row of shrubs running the length of the building. The cupola on the roof is also visible, this is where the Seth Thomas Clock was originally located before being moved to Woodburn Hall. As late as 1910 this building had a central projecting pillared stone porch that was removed and replaced by the much more simple arched entrance of today. It is thought this was done to improve the symmetry of Martin and Chitwood Halls, since they are setting opposite each other. Martin Hall today is home to the WVU School of Journalism. Picture #403 and original archival photographic print by Brandywine General Store.