Harpers Ferry John Brown's Fort Art Print
SKU: Picture #234
An archival premium Quality Art Print of John Brown's Fort in Harper's Ferry for sale by Brandywine General Store. This building was erected in 1848 as the fire engine and guardhouse for the armory at Harper's Ferry. It was in this building that John Brown and several of his followers barricaded themselves during the final hours of his ill fated raid of October 16 -18, 1859. This was the only armory building not to be destroyed during the Civil War. During a Union Army occupation of Harper's Ferry a group of soldiers from Marlborough, Massachusetts removed the bell that was hanging in this arsenal building and this group of firefighter soldiers took the bell home to Marlborough where it still remains today, despite many efforts by Harpers Ferry to retrieve the bell and bring it back home to hang in the original location. In this scene a prisoner is being punished in a publicly humiliating way, he is made to stand on a barrel outside in sight of everyone, he has to hold a brick up all day in one hand and sign around his neck stating his offenses. This prisoner was guilty of insulting an officer, Sleeping on Guard Duty and Deserting. The provost marshal has his desk outside upon which to work. Three more wooden barrels are in front of this armory building, these probably also doubled as containers for the drinking water for the prisoners. Harper's Ferry is perhaps the town most famous in West Virginia for its Civil War heritage, but in the first half of the War this town lay in western Virginia. Picture #234 an original photographic historical Civil War art print made from a photograph in the Brandywine Collection.