Georgia Obsolete Currency Jasper County One dollar Scrip Note
A rare piece of Georgia Civil War scrip from the county of Jasper dated 1862 and issued from Monticello. This is the 1.00 denomination and will grade very good plus. This bill is printed on very thin tissue paper, the top edge is a little rough. The ONE is in red as is the boxes that include the other ones. The center vignette is a dog on watch guarding a safe, the left has a cotton harvester in front of a factory. The pictures show the actual Jasper County GA County Note that is available for sale at Brandywine General Store.
Monticello was named the county seat of Jasper County on December 10, 1808, at that time Jasper County was known as Randolph County. The early settlers in the area, a lot of who were of Virginia descent, named the town after President Thomas Jefferson's Virginia estate. The city used a grid iron plan and laid out in a circle with a one and one half mile diameter centered in the middle of the courthouse square, resulting in roughly 1200 acres within the city limits. The land containing the city of Monticello was originally bought from Isaac Weldon, who had drawn it in the land lottery of 1807. The site was chosen because of its hill top setting and an abundance of spring water.